Pages

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Conscious Coupling


Today, we celebrate our fourth anniversary as a happily married couple. You read that correctly. Happily. Married.

I delight in marriage. I really, really do. I get to spend nearly every day with my best friend. What does that look like? Does it look like a perfect family photo? Is it our annual Christmas card? Does it look like loved ones gathered for Easter dinner? Sure. Sometimes. More realistically, it looks like two people hanging out in pajamas all day on a Sunday watching a marathon of Entourage, or a couple in the aisles of Home Depot debating about which grout matches the new tile best. He gets frustrated when I'm bossy. I get upset when he drinks the last Dr. Pepper. But every single day, I'm grateful to wake up next to him. It's a beautiful, messy, wonderfully insane life.

Love starts in the subconscious and morphs into the conscious. I make a conscious decision everyday to partner with the love of my life. We make our decisions together, from what to have for dinner to major life choices. We have fun together. We share our joys, our sorrows, our accomplishments, and our setbacks. People say that relationships take work. I beg to differ. It's not work when it's something you love. I love being married and I love my husband. Happy anniversary. Here's to many more to come!

Author's note: I purposely titled this piece "Conscious Coupling" as a response to a certain actress's recent post entitled "Conscious Uncoupling." I feel that so many people focus on the breakdown of a marriage rather than the success of one. If we consciously choose to keep things together, imagine how much more productive we could be, than if we spend so much of our time taking things apart.

No comments: